Last month, In the process of getting passport issued for my 1 month old baby, I did so much of research on the internet and I’m really thankful to all the bloggers who provided such important information over this.
My post is more updated version of this particular case:
“Infant Tatkaal Passport (with Birth Certificate Correction) “
Actually, me & hubby din want to depend on anyone for this. Our Educated Egos wouldn’t allow doing that. As hubby is abroad, I’m supposed to do things here. As sonny was just 1 month, my parents were not very happy over me doing the things myself. And doing so much research, I know I could do it, save the serpentine Q at the passport office. Was having plan –B for that. But I approached a travel agency (on compulsion) for info, of the vague info he gave, he told its imp to endorse spouse’s name, in at least 1 of the parent’s passport. As I already read the instructions on the app-form, I just ignored it. Filled up the app-form & went to the RPO a day before to know the surroundings & procedure, so as not to waste time the next day.
The whole thing is computerised, Thank God.
- Passport application processing should be done at PSKs (passport seva kendras)only
- Applications should be submitted online and supporting documents should also be uploaded (for this, we should register & login into passport.gov.in)
- Every day at 7.30 p.m. slots are opened for Day-after-tomorrow’s appointment. (Try to book slot at 7.30 p.m. dot as even a minute late, the slots are booked)
- Print the application receipt (v imp as you need it till the end) & vroom………to PSK
- At the PSK give biometrics supplied with documents & wait for your passport
Reach the PSKs 30 min before your slot. That’s totally fine. As you wouldn’t be allowed to stand in-line even before your time.
Now coming to the minor passport, the following is required.
- At least one of the parents name should be endorsed in the other parents passport
- Birth Certificate
- Address Proof
- Copy of parent(s) passport
- Annexure H (duly signed by both parents)(other cases for parents exist too)
- Sworn Affidavit of the parent( if one of the parent is resident abroad, as is our case)
- A 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm photo of the baby with a white background, if minor is less than 4 years
- Physical presence of one of the parents passport, if you are applying for a Tatkaal for the minor
As me & hubby got our passports, before our marriage, we had to endorse spouse name in either of our pp & as he is abroad, I had to get mine done (Also mine was nearing the end of validity).
The following were the documents required for mine (parents) pp
- My old passport
- Address proof, if it changed
- My 10th certificate, as I had to change my ECNR status (my old passport done when I’m minor)
- Marriage certificate, to endorse husband’s name
- Copy of spouse’s passport
- Annexure I for tatkaal (it is available from the advocate who does it at the canteen, for Rs 200. Matter of 5 minutes)
Process Inside PSK:
Once your slot starts, you are sent inside, after a brief security check. Inside, there’s a front desk, which would check & take the documents & issue the token. There’s a separate line one each for tatkaal & minors (same for Sr citizens). I should say, here, that the staff is very helpful.
The documents along with a token are returned (takes 5-10 min extra, if for tatkaal). Inside there are Zone A, B & C. Zone A, is where the documents are verified again & accepted, biometrics (only fingerprints) & photograph (if applicant is more than 4 yrs old, they will take photo onstantly) are taken, fees to be paid. Then go to Zone B. here there’s lot much waiting time. Almost 1 to 2 hr. I had to wait for 1 hr., as mine is tatkaal. Finally when the turn comes, go to B, where 2nd verification of what is done at A, is done. B to C is done instantly. From there directed to the exit, where the Acknowledgement is given.
Tra la……..it’s done.
If all exact documents are taken, then it wouldn’t take more than 4hrs, from reporting time.
While waiting between Zone A & B, I noticed that the tokens issued started with either N, T, W, P or S. I figured out that it must be Normal, Tatkaal, Withheld, PCC & S… (No idea). I was given W, as I had to run for my 10th cert & sort my address proof & couldn’t make it in my given slot.
Things were actually not very tough as projected. While doing these things, there were some mistakes done which are mentioned here and some not mentioned. But seriously, no regrets. I learned very important lessons. And, I’m happy I did them myself. As the process is all so computerised, my request is do it yourself. A very good info if given in the web. Go thru it. And do it on your own. 😉
And yeah , I received my pp on 3rd day post-applying. pretty quick & pretty efficient. The whole experience is very good for me.
PS : Had a Birth Certificate problem for sonny’s pp. Initiated the process to correct it & waiting.