I have very little experience at baking. But I sure love it. My 1st bake is ‘Banana cake’. Though not a very big fan of lemon – I Love these lemon cakes. I’m sure there is no need to give a reason why one loves anything.
Hmm…..Well, coming to this cake, I never thought of baking this…..but one fine day, I bought a lemon zester, a very nice one. Thats when a strong urge, to make use of it, was born. I wanted to make a lemon cake. Thats it….!!!
When I told hubby about it, as usual he said …”why don you m(b)ake something good….”. And guess who had the lion’s share of the cake. Even after deciding, I took time to bake it, as I wasnt confident enough. But…..believe me, the output was soooo gooooood. Hmm……In fact finger-licking good.
Couldn’t get the picture of the entire cake, Just moments….it disappeared, but for a little piece which I saved for the picture. May be next time, I would pre-plan it and do it more leisurely…..!!!!!
Tell you what, make this if you like lemons. Make it even if you don like it, chances are you may end up loving this fresh-baked soft lemony flavored cake.
- 2 Eggs
- 175 gm Sugar
- 150 gm Butter
- 175 gm self-raising flour
- 125 ml milk
- Zest of 1 Lemon
lemon syrup :
- 140 gm Icing Sugar
- 50 ml Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
– Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a square baking tray with a non-stick baking paper.
– Sift the flour.
– In a mixing bowl, take the butter, sugar, eggs and whisk them till the mixture becomes firm. Add the lemon rind. Fold the flour into the mixture, little at a time, making sure that there are no lumps. Add the milk slowly and mix properly. Now spoon it into the lined-baking tray
– Bake it for about 30 min (or as required). The baked cake should be golden brown and firm to the touch.
– Remove the cake and place it carefully on a wire rack to cool. Take a fork or a toothpick and prick the cake here and there.
– For the syrup, In a saucepan, take the lemon juice , icing sugar and stir gently, till the sugar melts. Do not allow to boil. It should be warm enough.
– Spoon this lemon syrup all over the cake evenly, allowing it to drizzle. Repeat till the syrup is finished. Dust the cake with the icing sugar.
– Allowing the syrup to drizzle down and the cake to cool down.
– Cut the cake into rectangular bars and top with lemon zest before serving
** I baked it for five more minutes, so it became a darkkkk brown on the top. Could be avoided.
** Though I used the zest of 1 lemon in the batter, I felt more could be used too.