Its weekend and chicken time at our place-like any Indian home. I was bout to cook the chicken when I remembered the half pack of spinach that is lying cozily in the fridge. I thought of palak-chicken, but din want to follow the palak-paneer method. So I image-searched. Well I first do an image search and whichever pic pleases my eye I check that recipe. But this time I observed that none of the palak-chicken pictures looked mouth-watering. So I randomly checked out 3-4 recipes. This one is slightly different that the normal procedure. And I went on with it. Though I added cashewnuts also to the spinach puree to give it that extra richness.
This recipe is super-awesome. The flavors of cumin and coriander doesn’t overpower this dish and it maintains the innocence of the spinach. Main flavor comes from the ginger-garlic paste. The aroma was so heavenly……!!!! I served it with jeera rice. Actually I din add the butter when we had it for the lunch. When I was trying to take a picture of this…I felt it looked too simple, so I just grated a leftover unsalted butter-bar. And when we had it for dinner it was good again. I mean the addition of butter was too good……!!!!!
Finally, don go by the pic…..it doesn’t justify the goodness of the dish. Just try it……..!!!! I always want to make a dry chicken…….but somehow end up in a gravy based dish. It always happens like that.
|Preparation time : 7 min
Cooking time : 30 min
Serve with : Rice, Chapathi, Roti, C
Serves : 4
- 750 gm Chicken
- 1 big Onion
- 1 big Tomato
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
….for spinach puree:
- 2 cups packed Spinach
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 th cup Cashewnuts
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
– Clean and wash the chicken and drain aside.
– In a pan, add some water and add the ingredients under the spinach puree and cook for five minutes or till soft on medium heat.
– Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients under the onion masala without any water (roughly chop the onion).
– Once the spinach has cooked, take the ingredients with a spoon and grind it. Reserve this spinach water. (Alternatively, the whole thing, including the water can be pureed)
– In the same pan, heat oil, add the cinnamon & cloves, add the cumin. Once they have browned, add the finely chopped onions, slit green chillies and cook till done. Now add the ground onion-masala paste.Once the raw flavor goes, add the turmeric powder, followed by chicken and a bit of salt. After the chicken is cooked 70%, add the roughly chopped tomatoes, close the lid and cook.
– Once the chicken is done, add the spinach puree, the spinach water (if reserved), garam masala and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
– Check & adjust the seasoning. Just before serving add a dollop of butter.
Tips & Notes :
** Here the heat is added to the dish only through green chillies, so increase/decrease them as per the taste.
** If you don want this curry with gravy, then don add the spinach water. Let the chicken cook in its own water and simmer till the water is gone & then add the spinach puree.