‘Podi’ or Powder are very famous in South of India. Though we don’t make it at home I just love them. They have a nice taste, spicy, flavorful and nutritious too. Though hubby is not a big fan I occasionally make them when possible. Sonny likes them too…..So another reason for me to prepare them.
This recipe is a quick albeit a nutritious one. The bottlegaurd i bought this time was really fresh and i wanted to prepare something easy with it. So i took that extra step of doing this as i was crazy-cooking to keep up with time. I just grabbed any nuts i reached. This came out very tasty and hubby and sonny both enjoyed it. I keep these as emergency accompaniments when i had to make dosa only for sonny.
|Preparation time : 3 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serve With : As accompaniment for Indian breakfasts or over salads or with rice etc
- Sorakaya Thokku ( Bottleguard Peel)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Hazel Nuts
– Heat a skillet on low and a tsp of oil. Add the peels to it and cook till they are almost dry. will take 7-10 minutes approx.
– Remove the peel into a bowl and add the cumin seeds. Toast them till fragrant. Remove them into a bowl.
– In the same pan add the peanuts and hazel nuts and roast them.
– Once done take the peel, cumin, nuts and salt into a blender or food processor and grind till a bit chunky as shown in picture.
– Refrigerate and use within 2 weeks, But I’m sure it wouldn’t last that long as you would go for this for every meal.
** If you feel its bland add chilli powder or chilli flakes for the quick version. Or go all the way to roasting whole red chillies and grinding them altogether.
** If more finer texture is desired, then grind the peels and the rest of the ingredients separately and mix.
** Usually in these kind of recipes nuts are not used. But I would recommend using any kind of nuts you can put your hands on as they would only increase the nutritional value.
** Usage of this is left to your imagination. For your Indian food (breakfasts, rice, roti etc), as flavourings for soups and salads